Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Me and Math: The Semester Starts

The first time I sat for the practice GMAT, I did so horrible on math that the woman didn't want to give me my grade.
So she started with the "sandwich" approach, "Well, you did really well in the algebraic section."
Of course I did well in algebra. In involves letters. I GET letters. Letters make sense to me.
So I worked with a tutor, who I call Little Ananya. Ananya was about 19 years old and from Bangledesh. She was a genius at teaching math. It confounded her that I would get all the math correct when it came to business.
I view it this way: If I get it wrong, I lose money. And I don't want to lose money.
When I would get very basic things wrong, I would get scolded in Little Ananya fashion. (Insert Indian accent here): "Oh, Angie. You did not do well. You should not be getting that wrong. Rules are rules. They never change."
Apparently, I wanted to be creative with my letters and that doesn't work in math.
So here I sit, like Adam Sandler in "Billy Madison," among babes in order to make sure my calculus foundation is sound.
If it involves letters, I'll be fine ...

No comments: