Sunday, September 7, 2008

Another Point

I'm tired and way-glazed over from doing currency conversions and analyzing export and import financials, and stating my cases for my law class, but I have to opine on something.
This weekend, as you may have read, we received news that our dear family friend Louis Petkovski had died.
I have a point to this, I promise, just bear with me.
When I was 7, my dad died. My maternal grandfather had died years before I ever came to be, and my point is, women were left to raise me.
Now, Louis' widow, aged 52, is on her own. Lucky for Mary, Louis was financially astute and made some key investments to ensure she was cared for to a certain extent. But Mary never cultivated a skill in order to make a living by herself.
Now, Louis is gone and she has to face the world.
This is my bandwagon: Every woman needs a way to make a living. Cultivate a skill. Spread your wings. Step out of your comfort zone and take on some new challenges.
You never, ever know what tomorrow will bring.
Having a career or pursuing a higher education doesn't mean that you're neglecting your husband or your children. It means you are buying insurance for yourself against the uncertainties of life. Even if your husband doesn't die before you do, what will you do if he becomes ill and can't work?
OK, I'm done. I've shouted about this for years, only because I saw my own mother struggle so much after my father died. But life keeps proving, too, that there is no assurance.

No comments: