Monday, September 15, 2008

Who's the Speaker?

"For a long time, I have hesitated to write a book on woman. The subject is irritating, especially to women; and it is not new. Enough ink has been spilled in the quarreling over feminism, now practically over, and perhaps we should say no more about it. It is still talked about, however, for the voluminous nonsense uttered during the last century seems to have done little to illuminate the problem. After all, is there a problem? And if so, what is it?"

Guess the speaker ... as I was struggling to finish writing an essay, "In the Company of Men," I put my pen down. Now that feminism is at the forefront with McCain's pick of Palin, I am reminded of something a very wise woman once told me, "Gender is an issue if you make it an issue."

No comments: