Wednesday, March 19, 2008

This American Life

I'm about to point out the elephant in the room, and perhaps I shouldn't go there, but I'm going.
Race and gender issues exist in American society, and anyone who says that these issues don't exist is in serious denial.
You cannot cover this elephant with a blanket.
But the topics are complicated. It may be summed up best by comedienne Wanda Sykes, who said something very prolific on the Ellen DeGeneres Show last week.
Ellen had asked Sykes who she was going to vote for, Hillary or Barack.
Sykes said, "You know, I'm torn. Because I'm black, and I'm a woman. And I had to say to myself, which has caused me more problems, being black, or being a woman?"
But Sen. Clinton said something very outstanding, which I have to point out. She said this after Sen. Obama gave his speech on race yesterday.
"Issues of race and gender in America have been complicated throughout our history, and they are complicated in this primary campaign," said Clinton, also campaigning in Philadelphia. "There have been detours and pitfalls along the way, but we should remember that this is a historic moment for the Democratic Party and for our country. We will be nominating the first African-American or woman for the presidency of the United States, and that is something that all Americans can and should celebrate."
This is an historic time. We should be so proud of where this country is right now, that there would be a female candidate for president and a black candidate. No matter what happens in November, these are crucial barriers which have been broken for both race and gender.

No comments: