Thursday, April 24, 2008

My Night With McCain

Very intriguing title, no?
I got recruited to help with the Sen. McCain fundraiser in Oklahoma City this Friday night. I'll be helping with the press conference, signing in press, handing the microphone to people, etc.
How fun!
I know this will shock a lot of you, but I have to come out of the closet about something.
I'm no longer registered as a Republican.
It's true.
I thought it best that I come out here on my blog. I am registered as an Independent.
It wasn't shocking to me, really. I've always been more of an Independent thinker. I sincerely vote for the politician, not the party. I think it's dangerous over a lifetime to strictly stick with one party.
I just do. And to be honest, I have always thought that way. It's just not realistic, in my opinion. I will, however, always be more of a conservative thinker than a liberal thinker, though. I know myself, I know what experiences I've had that have influenced me.
But I do like McCain. I first met him in 2000 at the West Side Market in Cleveland. I like what he told the folks in Michigan this past year: the jobs aren't coming back.
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that I like that he had to tell people that the jobs aren't coming back.
But I like the fact that he was honest and blunt. That doesn't mean that I will vote for McCain. At this point in the Election Year, I do not know who will get my vote. I like Clinton, and I really think that Obama's rise is miraculous, a wonderful sign for the state of the American collective psyche.
This is a pivotal, turning point year for American politics, and I hope everyone is watching.

1 comment:

Mom and the Moops said...

Welcome to the middle, Ang.