Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Turtle Family Renamed

Ollie and Gingy have surprised us.
(For those of you who don't know, Ollie and Gingy are the two three-toed box turtles who live in our backyard.)
I was way excited about finding Ollie on Sunday, then discovering Gingy on Monday morning as I sat on the deck drinking my coffee.
There are wonderful moments in life, and discovering nature like this, for me, is one of them. It was right up with discovering 11 long-eared owls in one tree a few years ago in Ohio.
But I didn't expect to find the kind of nature I found on Monday afternoon when I went to check on the turtles.
First, I must paint the picture. On Monday afternoons, I am usually home. This Monday, Aracely was visiting me. She is a 16-year-old lovely young lady from Honduras who I am tutoring in English.
Excited as I was about finding the turtles, Aracely wanted to go see them, too.
She found them.
When she found them, Ollie and Gingy were mating.
Aracely says, "What are they doing?"
I said, "We'll have babies soon."
Now, the turtles have been renamed Romeo and Juliet.

No comments: