Saturday, October 11, 2008

Grad School Diaries: The Exhaustion

It's been a long week. I don't ever want to complain, but I realized how tired I was when I woke up this morning and I could see the clock perfectly across the room.
The "8:30" was in perfect focus. Was it a miracle? Did I actually have perfect vision?
Then reality hit as I blinked my eyes and I felt the tiny plastic suction cup sensation on my eye.
I had slept in my contact lenses, something I had not done since high school.
Sincerely.
It may seem relatively benign to all of you, but I am more anal about my contact lenses than anything else in my life. Especially since I have this phobia about going blind. Which explains why I won't willingly put myself under a laser, despite reassurances by several doctors that I am a perfect candidate and that never, ever have they lost a single eye to laser surgery.
And since I'm getting older and I have this pesky thing called astigmatism, my contact lenses are really, really uncomfortable if I ever did want to sleep in them.
Which brings me back to my quandary: how did I fall asleep and not even budge? We had company last evening. We had several friends over, plus my brother-in-law, who has been staying with us for a few days.
I didn't remember saying good night to anyone, and Lord knows I maybe had one glass of wine, so I couldn't blame alcohol. I remembered the steak more than the wine, to tell the truth.
Dante and Daren (the brother-in-law) explained to me that I had fallen asleep on the loveseat we have in our kitchen and that I didn't budge. Dante just led me into the bedroom, and covered me up, letting me sleep until I awoke this morning.
Life is strange. Life is even more strange while I'm in school.

No comments: