Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Grad School Diaries: The Grades

Some things in life just don't make sense, like the current economic situation; why men are so fascinated (in general) with electronic gadgets; and how a professor can give me a B when I earned "As" on everything in the class.
This is the true story of Angela Mia DeRosa Giancola, aged 33 years and three days, grad student and thinker in general.
So Angie takes a class in Organizational Behavior. Angie, like all the other students, is graded in several ways by the professor. This is an 8-week accelerated class that meets one night a week for FOUR hours. Even before the semester started, we had FIVE books to read.
This is how else we were graded:
1. Papers. Lots of papers. Papers out the wa-zoo. We had to analyze Harvard Business Review cases and write 3-5 page papers (single-spaced, nonetheless); Angie and teammates earned As on each one.
2. Company analysis, 10 pages. With team. Angie and team earned A.
3. Best-self, in which I had the help of several people, THANK YOU ALL, by the way. Tony and Margaret; Sarah; Jeanne; Alison; Diana; Tina Marie; Don; Arnella; Hollee; Rachel; and Mike. So they all contributed to How Angie Can Be Her Best. I pulled it all together, wrote some more stuff backed by RESEARCH, and I got an A. A HIGH "A."
4. Class participation and teamwork. I never missed a class, and I always participated. And I operated in one of the best teams in the class. It was great. We had such great energy and personalities on our team, and it was such a great process.
5. The Test. So in this class, you have FIVE books, 21 articles, and 10 models of organizational behavior. At the end of the class, you have to sit for THREE hours and take an exam. The test is notoriously difficult. As a matter of fact, there exists a Black Market Study Guide among the MBA students to help each other through the exam.
The exam includes questions like,
1. Professor Wickenhooper has theorized that organizations function best when:
a. There is electricity in the office
b. There are dependable, routine paychecks and cash flow is not a problem
c. There are bathrooms, for men and women, and regular bathroom breaks
d. There are vending machines that are regularly maintained and not wheeled out
by strangers in the middle of the day and never replaced.
e. The person in charge knows what he or she is doing
f. A and B
g. B and C
h. C and D
i. None of the above is correct
So there were roughly 30 questions like the one you see above; then short-answer essay; long answer essay; and models that you had to draw.
Without revealing my grade, I did average. I performed average on the exam. Was it an A? No, it was not. But it wasn't going to be. I sat for the exam from 6 p.m. through 9 p.m. after a horribly long day that included a law exam that morning that was 2 hours long.
The professor gave me a B in the class, despite all my other work. Not only did he give me a B for my course grade, but it's a B that's close to an A.
Where does this make sense?
It doesn't.
I will be having a discussion with the professor, needless to say.

No comments: