Monday, November 10, 2008

All Politics is Local

My little friend Sophia (aged 11 years) of Cleveland, Ohio, was discussing politics with me and making inquiries into the meaning of economics.
Yes, really.
Discussions with Sophia and her older sister Jessie always are enlightening. Jessie and Sophia really are a way for me to keep pace with myself, since Jessie was the flower girl in our wedding when she was 2 years old and Sophia couldn't walk at that time.
It's amazing how quickly they grow!
I asked Sophia, "What do you think of the results of the national election for president? Have you and your classmates discussed it in school?"
(Keep in mind that Sophia and Jessie have a black mother and a white father and are surrounded by multi-culturalism all the time).
She says, "I really can't say much because I didn't know enough about the candidates. But I do know that Obama is against school vouchers, and school vouchers have made it possible for a lot of my friends to attend my school, so I don't think I like him very much."
Too great. I got such a kick out of her response, I had to share it. It proves what has been said all along, that all politics is local.

No comments: