Thursday, July 24, 2008

I'm Fixed .... For Now

With all my physical therapy experience, I could write a book.
There are muscles in my body that I didn't know existed until I hurt them.
I have several incidents to report, and my friends often view me as "Ooh, don't do what Angie did. I wouldn't want to be Angie right now."
And the injuries seem to be happening with more frequency as the years pass, especially in the neck and shoulder region.
But I took an alternate route to healing my neck and shoulder.
I didn't take the muscle relaxers. I don't want to take pills if I don't have to.
I walked straight into a medical massage therapist.
Now, I'm not saying it wasn't painful. She worked on my neck and shoulder for more than one hour, and she reached points with her fingers that I didn't even know could be reached.
She, apparently surprised that I wasn't reacting to her prodding fingers, said, "You're not screaming in pain."
And I said, "I'm too scared to say anything because your finger might slip and cause another injury."
She laughs.
I mean, I was at her mercy, let's face it. She had her fist wedged between two muscles that I didn't even know could separate and if I move, Lord only knows what will happen.
I wasn't taking the chance.
And then she covered me in Cryoderm, this menthol treatment spray for strains and sprains.
But I am better, truth be told. The pain is gone from my neck and shoulder.
Now, I am sore, don't get me wrong, and I've got some physical therapy exercises to do.
Alternative medicine might be OK.

No comments: