Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Me and Technology

What is this thing called texting?
Do I sound old-fashioned? Apparently, I am not a technology-savvy person, but somehow, I'm OK with that. As I drove with my friend Charlene in her fully loaded Nissan Altima in Northern California, she dialed her cell phone from her steering wheel and held a conversation without ever picking up her cell phone.
It all was controlled from her steering wheel.
Weeks later, I'm still astounded. Of course, I still drive a non-loaded 1998 Toyota Corolla that is about as plain as the Oklahoma prairie itself.
I'm quite proud of that. That little beast has upwards of 120,000 miles on it. I recently was introduced to MySpace, as it is the only way to regularly keep in touch with the nieces and nephews.
Apparently, not having a MySpace page is like not bothering to show up at the coolest place in town on a Friday night. Well, I've never done that, either. I'm just not a spotlight person, not interested in the "in" thing to do and to be seen doing.
But brother-in-law Daren, aged 28, wasn't even remotely interested in reading my blog.
"Why don't you just get on MySpace?"
Because it's NOT for me. Have you gone on there? There are too many "things." I need "basics." Trust me, I do not care about the Pussycat Dolls and I'm not the least bit interested in spinning a wheel that will predict how I'll die.
It's like me with the Ipod. I loved the Ipod once I had it, because it was simple. Basic. Like my laptop. When I went to purchase that, I told the sales person: "I just need to type and save word documents and get on the Internet."
That's it. Plain and simple. I'm a writer. We don't need fancy things. We need functional things, things that work and get us from A to B.
Now, Dante is quite determined to get me a phone which will allow me to text. This is going to be a disaster, I can promise you. Stay tuned.

No comments: