Friday, July 25, 2008

The Meaning of a Vote

My graduate assistant colleagues asked me yesterday, "Who will you vote for?"
I said, "I don't know."
The truth is, I do know, but I won't tell. My decision is steeped in my own experience, my own take on history and what I believe this country needs at such a critical time.
It's based and thread from my own perspective, and therefore open to the opinions of none.
But here is my plea to everyone: I don't care who you are voting for in November, but PLEASE bother to vote, but by the time you vote, know why you're voting for that person.
For example, don't be an Umbilical Cord Partisan. That means you're voting for whomever your parents voted for. That is one of my biggest pet peeves.
We each are children of our own generation, our own thought processes, our own perspective on history and current events, which is tomorrow's history.
Vote, damn it, but know why.
And if you don't know why, then don't vote.

No comments: