Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Best Books

I am a certified book nerd, and this blog is the perfect spot for me to offer my opinion on the best books ever. Fiction and non-fiction, also short stories. (For the record, I am a published short story writer, too, so I get really technical, which you'll have to look past if you're not that involved in writing).
So, here, for the record, are my top fiction books (all open to debate, which I love):
1. The Confederacy of Dunces (John Kennedy Toole)
2. Catcher in the Rye (Salinger)
3. Slapstick (Vonnegut)
4. A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime (Mark Haddon)

Best Short Stories:
1. An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge (Ambrose Bierce)
2. Buckeye the Elder (Brady Udall)
3. Good Country People (Flannery O'Connor)
4. Cousins (Joyce Carol Oates)

2 comments:

Mom and the Moops said...

Ang-
Have you read any Toni Morrison? Love her command of language. She weaves words with such style and finesse. Plus she's an Ohioan so I love the local flavor of Buckeye storytelling and sentence structure.

Glad to see you on here.
Jami

Angie said...

Hi Jami.
Yes, I've read her. I think I read "The Bluest Eye."
I agree; she does have a wonderful command of language and I was partial to her as well because of the Ohio connection.
Take care,
Angie