Friday, January 4, 2008

The Things Nana Taught Me

Nana is my maternal grandmother. She turned 90 on Dec. 31 and we celebrated it with her in Ohio!
She said, "I've waited 90 years for this date."
This is her pictured with me here, lecturing me on something, I'm sure.
She taught me:
1. No matter how poor you might be, always look nice. You have no excuse not to iron your clothes, even if you only own one pair of "slacks."
2. Always save your money. You never know when a Depression might hit and you might need to get it out from under your mattress. Don't trust the government. Respect the government, but don't rely on it.
3. The only ingredients you need to survive are milk, eggs, lard and bread. With all of those, you can make anything.
4. How to wash clothes on a washboard.
5. Always vote. Even if you think it doesn't matter, it's your right and no matter what, you need to make it to the polls on Election Day.
6. You don't need to drive a car to get places. Use the mass transit systems.
7. Educate yourself, if it only means reading the newspaper every day.
8. Spit curls! You don't need a perm. You just need some bobby pins and a can of Aqua Net hairspray.
9. How to run a business. Nana ran several of her own businesses, including two delicatessans in East Orange, NJ.
Nana (Helen Sophie Butryn Knapp) is the single-most influential person in my life, raising me with a strict hand, a respect for hard work, and a love of family. She stepped right in after my father died when I was 7 and waited tables at a country club to help support us. Despite not having more than a sixth grade education, she is the smartest person I will ever know.
God bless you, Nana.

No comments: