Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"My Summer Story"

No, I'm not going to bore you with tales of my summer vacation. "My Summer Story" is the sequel to "A Christmas Story." Congrats to Sarah Arnold for getting the correct answer.
But, alas, I must opine on the idea of a sequel to "A Christmas Story." And I ask, dear readers, what makes art great? How would any of us felt if, for example, the creator of Calvin and Hobbes did not know when to quit?
(Work with me here, think about "Garfield." Now, how many times can Garfield push Odie off the table? It's OLD and therefore boring. Calvin and Hobbes never got boring.)
I mean, why is "The Confederacy of Dunces" so great? Largely in part because Toole only had that one work. (Of course, he committed suicide...) But you get my point, I hope. Great works that are great should not be sequeled or copied or kept in circulation too long. It ruins them.

No comments: