Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Music Man

I walk through life, and every once in a while, I encounter a person who makes me pause, who makes me happy just to be, who reminds me of the beauty of life and the glory of giving.
Last August, I came across Livio Pelosi, an 82 year old Italian man who that month became my best friend's father in law.
We were brought together by the wedding of my friend Rachel and Livio's son George. Livio played the accordion during their reception. Shortly after he played the accordion, I somehow talked him into dancing. He reluctantly came out onto the dance floor, and as he was dancing, he told me how much he missed his wife who was deceased. He said his heart ached.
I was so sad for Livio.
He didn't know it, but during the wedding rehearsal and the wedding itself, I watched him sitting in the church. I could tell he was sad, I could see the sadness in his eyes. I kept it to myself, something I'd observed and clocked in my own mind, just as the people watcher that I am and the observer of human nature.
Shortly after the wedding, I found out that Livio was in the hospital.
But as he breathed life into his accordion and made music for so many people, the accordion now apparently has helped breathe life back into Livio.
See the story that ran in the Massillon (Ohio) Independent on Livio. It's truly touching, and it truly captures this Italian man who made so many people dance with his lively playing.
Thank you, Livio. You've touched lives beyond anything you'd ever realize.

From the Massillon Independent (By Flo Lynn)
The music man
I am delighted to relate this wonderful, true story which is a Christmas tale within itself:
Livio Pelosi is a well-known resident of Massillon. He is not known just for his kindnesses, but also for his talent in both painting and as a musician. Livio also is one of those people you automatically like to like.
Last September, Livio was reported to be in terrible health and with not much hope for his future. He was taken to Meadow Wind Health Center to live out his days. His tenure was questionable, according to those who cared for him.
A few weeks after Livio’s arrival at the health-care facility, as the activity director was making rounds down the halls during room visits, he heard some “fun polka music coming from one of the rooms.” When he investigated what he thought was a television or radio station playing, much to his amazement he found, instead, live music being played on a small button box by Livio Pelosi.
It wasn’t long before Livio was playing small music concerts for other residents in the dining room. At the same time his health was making vast improvement. By October, Livio was well enough to return to his home.
In December, Livio phoned the Meadow Wind’s activity director and shared how much he missed the staff and residents he had met while at Meadow Wind. In turn, the activity director arranged for him to return and play during the lunch period, this time using a bigger accordion/button box. The residents were more than happy to welcome him and his music back.
Livio was offered lunch which he declined; however, he did enjoy a cup of coffee, all the while explaining, “At age 82, I didn’t come up here to eat; my pleasure comes from seeing the smiles on the residents’ faces while I play the music.”
P.S. At Livio’s last visit, he drove himself to Meadow Wind, noting that driving was another achievement for him in regaining his health.

No comments: