Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Andalusia Answer

No one guessed correctly the connection to Andalusia, although several people did try.
Andalusia is the farm in Milledgeville, Georgia, that was home to writer Flannery O'Connor. Who is Flannery O'Connor? Not a male, as most people guess. In fact, Flannery O'Connor is one of the writers I most respect who (in my opinion) quite perfected the short story form.
She has an acerbic wit that is quite refreshing. She expertly takes a hard-line look at religion and Southern culture.
Indeed, one of her characters in "Good Country People" has her wooden leg stolen by a Bible salesman.
One of the classic scenes in fiction. My kind of humor, to say the least.
I renamed my site because it's a great area for me to explore my writing, much as O'Connor's farm was the place where she explored most of her writing. When I do get some time, I may even post some of my own short fiction stories. Now, I said, "may," not "definitely." I'm like an overprotective mother with my short stories. I don't let them out very often, and when I do, I'm very careful with them. I suppose they will be better here than in the notebooks that have piled up in my house and on the hard drive.

Some great O'Connor quotes:

"The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it."

"Everywhere I go I am asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There is many a best-seller that could have been prevented by a good teacher."

No comments: