Saturday, May 17, 2008

Botox Bedlam

As I was sitting at a restaurant the other night hanging out with friends, I noticed a trend at this Oklahoma City restaurant that hasn't been obvious to me at other restaurants in Oklahoma City.

Each woman had either bleached blonde hair, breasts boosted up with the magic of surgery, or lips injected with Botox.

Four of us sat there, me, Dante, one other man who happens to be a very respected leader in the state, and a professional woman with whom I'm very close friends.

We were amazed at the Circus act, which all of us agreed was likely akin to what one would see at the Playboy Mansion. Women prancing around in heels and short-short skirts, posing together in photos for the men in the crowd to adore.

I took a trip to the bathroom, where I overheard four women talking about their breast surgeries. My professional female friend told me later that she was certain several women were in the handicapped stall in the bathroom sharing a ummm, powder. And we're not talking powder that one puts on his or her body.

You know what I'm saying.

I was disheartened. I know the activity goes on, but I don't want to see it. For as much socializing as I do in Oklahoma City, this was the first establishment where I've seen this type of behavior. As I sat there, I saw a woman who I know from the gym I go to, where she is a trainer. I started a conversation with her, and she was encouraging me to boost my lips with Botox and get breast surgery because it made her feel so good.

This woman is presumably a professional athletic trainer. Women see her body and think that she has achieved this body through diet and exercise.

She hasn't.

She sat with her fiance and several friends who nodded in encouragement. "If it makes you feel good, do it."

It doesn't make me feel good. I won't be attending their Botox party. Somewhere in my development, I also got self esteem, thank goodness, where my psyche isn't built up by artificial drugs taken in through my nose or some toxin injected into my lips.

This woman is my age and she's already using Botox? She and her Botox friend sat there, watching other women walk in, dressed like Barbies, with bleached blonde hair and tans from a bottle or a bed.

They snared at each other, and I wondered, is this really what you allow to consume your time and energy?

I encouraged the two women to start working on their self esteem. Build up what's inside you by building up your mind and your wit because over time, beauty fades. No matter how much Botox you use or how many times you have your breasts augmented, it all eventually goes away.

I feel most beautiful when I am in my workout shorts and a t-shirt, my hair pulled up and my face bare. I don't know where I got it, but I'll take it any day over the emptiness that these women have inside their souls.

No comments: