Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sex and the City

You've probably heard all the frenzy by now about the Sex and the City movie.
I admit, when I first heard about this show, I couldn't believe that it would be so popular.
Then I had surgery on my leg in 2005 and I was laid up for a bit.
I became hooked on the show.
My conservative friends were mortified. How could you watch that?
To appreciate the show, you have to watch the evolution of the characters. You have to become involved with Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha.
Undoubtedly, they are human beings trying to be happy. That is the most simple connection to the hearts of viewers. Sex, of course, is in the title, so that gets the most attention. Marketing, after all, is everything.
But you watch the women and (much to the horror of my conservative friends) you find a show that is pro-family.
Yes, I said it.
Pro-family and, Lord help us, pro-life.
Miranda gets pregnant, but Miranda doesn't go through with an abortion. I can tell you that I have friends in my life who have had abortions.
These women exist, whether or not some people want to admit to it.
In Miranda's case, Brady the baby turns her life around. The hard-charging attorney finds the soft side of life, the love of a baby and the father, Steve.
The most sexually active character, Samantha, ultimately finds love in an unlikely place during her battle with breast cancer.
I have a friend like that, too.
Carrie is flaky, I admit that. But you see the doubts and the insecurities. You see the complexities. Then there are the battles of Park Avenue Socialite Charlotte who wants nothing more than to have a baby. She has to adopt.
The show traces the lives of four women and brings in the men around them, showing men also in a very positive light, generally speaking.
They're all complex characters trying to figure out life and helping each other through. I wouldn't let my young daughters or nieces watch it, but for an adult program, it deserves the accolades it receives.

No comments: