Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Garbage Art

A former lawyer named Chris Jordan is making headlines because he left his profession to start taking pictures of garbage to show the impact of human activity and the garbage it creates.
I can appreciate Jordan's passion and wanting to effect change; maybe this is a way to get people to pay attention.
But I've always said, "Start with your own corner of the world." Recycle your plastic, people. Having lived in the plastics industry for seven years, I'm telling you, there is no better way to help the environment than to make sure your plastic bags and beverage bottles get recycled. And companies in the plastics industry that use recycled material do need the feedstocks.
This takes a little bit of time and effort, but it's worth it. I'm now to the point where it turns my stomach to even think about throwing a plastic bottle into a trash can. I'm proud to say that Dante has been doing his part, too.
In our neighborhood in Edmond, Okla., we do have curbside recycling, so it's a bit easier for us to set aside our bottles (glass, plastic); magazines and newspapers are recycled; anything that comes out of our house that can be recycled is.
When I was living in Parma, Ohio, the community did not have curbside recycling, but we handled this in several ways: Dante's parents (who lived upstairs from me) saved their plastic shopping bags and gave them to me and I in turn took them back to the grocery store; plastic bottles were recycled in several ways, first by a co-worker at Plastics News who collected the bottles; but other methods included utilizing local churches that have recycling bins and collection sites.
I'm including the link here to a segment about Chris Jordan that ran on Rachael Ray's show. It shouldn't take this to get any of us to pay attention.
http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/show/segments/view/chris-jordan/

No comments: