Thursday, June 19, 2008

I've heard it again

One other person, now the second woman, has relayed to me that women should not be sports reporters.
Are you serious?
"Well, they don't play football, so they shouldn't report on it."
There are men who have never played football who report on it.
"Well, football is just for men. I have three sons and a husband and they just grasp football much better and men just have a better understanding of it so women shouldn't report on it."
So does that mean that men shouldn't be gynecologists or obstetricians?
By the way, thank goodness this person doesn't have daughters. I know many, many women who get such joy and understand football much better than some men I know who don't even like football (yes, I know men who don't like football). I also know women who don't like shopping and hair salons.
It's time for some women to get out of the 1920s.
There are two quotes I keep close at heart about gender: "There is a special place in hell for women who don't help each other." And, "Gender is an issue if you make it an issue."
Don't make it an issue.

No comments: