Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Outsourcing Our Language

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D91GQIK80.htm

The Orange County Register is outsourcing, of all things, copy editing duties to India.
I am a former full-time journalist and I am a freelance writer now; I cannot fathom having copy editing duties outsourced half a world away especially for a community newspaper.
Have we really dulled ourselves that much to the need for local talent to fulfill such tasks?
As a bona fide English language enthusiast, I take offense that a firm in India is going to copy edit articles for a newspaper in America.
I wouldn't expect that I could copy edit a newspaper for any community in India.
As a supporter of emerging economies, I appreciate that outsourcing provides jobs and helps those countries' citizens boost themselves up.
But when we're agreeing to outsource our language, we've honestly gone too far.

No comments: