Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Strangers with Cows

Picture it:
ExpressJet Flight 0224 from Sacramento to Oklahoma City, Monday, June 23, roughly 11 a.m. PST.
Angie Mia DeRosa Giancola is seated happily in seat 10A. She is wearing her headphones, which were free, she is listening to CLASSICAL music on XM Satellite Radio and she is snacking on a REAL sandwich and baby cut carrots (for the record, there is little in life that makes AMDG happier than baby cut carrots, except maybe hummus for dip. But let's not get picky).
There are two friendly people behind her, and behaving children across the aisle. The two friendly people behind AMDG have struck up a conversation.
They find that they have some things in common, including photos to share.
Here is the conversation, and for this, AMDG even turned down her Mozart to listen:
Person 1: "Oh, isn't that adorable. Why, they must be twins."
Person 2: "They are indeed my pride and joy. Timmy and Joann just turned 3."
Person 1: "They are gorgeous. You should be so proud. Look at those eyes! And that hair! You must take such care of them."
Person 2: "And they are so smart. I've never seen such intelligence. But I'm probably partial because they're mine."
Person 1: "I had very smart cows once, too, and you can definitely tell a difference."
Person 2: : "These calves are my babies."
Dear reader, you did not read that incorrectly. Person 1 and Person 2 were sharing photos of their cows.
I could not make this up if I tried.
Dante pointed out (and it's true) that I have strange plane rides with Okies. (No offense to my friends who are Okies). But my history of plane rides with Okies usually is that I pick up on very bizarre conversations. Sometimes, I inadvertently end up as part of the conversation, like when a fellow passenger on a Southwest flight bound from Phoenix to OKC wanted to share photos of her dead baby.
That was weird.
See why I wear headphones at all times now? But the writer in me still observes and hears that which I do not always want to observe or hear. It's a curse.

No comments: