Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Special Place in Hell

There's very little in life that disturbs me on such a level that I feel sick to my stomach and/or my sleep is disturbed.
I remember feeling that way on Sept. 11, 2001, as I shared a van ride home from Philadelphia with other media professionals from Penton Media in Cleveland.
Two things have happened this week, both in Oklahoma, that have caused this feeling in me.
For those of you who are news watchers, you likely have seen that two young Oklahoma girls were killed in cold blood in a town about 90 miles east of Oklahoma City.
Best friends, ages 11 and 13, were shot by two different guns as they were walking along a road that they were apparently used to walking. They were best friends out doing those things that best friends do, likely just walking and talking.
And someone, some evil asshole, shot them in cold blood.
This is when I wished that we could let the family and neighbors practice death by firing squad. It's not legal in Oklahoma, but it is in Utah.
The second incident doesn't involve humans, but it involves destruction of life and it's sickening though not on the level of killing two young human girls (but be warned, you may not want to read any further). I skipped the news story initially, but then I forced Dante to tell me about it.
There is a beautiful lake in Oklahoma City called Lake Hefner. It's man-made. On a beautiful day, you walk around Lake Hefner and you admire the sail boats and the parasailors and you enjoy the wildlife. The birds, the turtles, the dogs, etc.
Some idiot went through that park and pulled down nests of cliff swallows and stomped the babies to death. Officials found one baby bird alive out of 186 birds.
There is a special place in hell for this person. May you, whoever you are, never have another day of peace so long as you should walk this Earth.

No comments: