Tuesday, June 3, 2008

"Sex and the City" Delivers

So I did it.
I went to see "Sex and the City."
I try to avoid all things popular, and really, I try to navigate toward all things unique and unusual (Starbucks notwithstanding).
But I loved Sex.
I got wrapped into the movie like the best pair of Manolo Blanhiks. I felt like I was reuniting with four friends and catching up along the Mexican Riviera.
I read the reviews and the critiques. I read that Carrie (Sarah Jessica Parker) develops a relationship closer with her personal assistant (Jennifer Hudson) than that which she enjoys with her Fab Three, Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte.
That particular critique obviously didn't take into consideration the meaning of youth and the ability of a younger person to shed light on an older (or middle-aged) person's heart.
It may sound cheesy, but the character of Louise (played by Jennifer Hudson) delivers in showing Carrie what loves means. In story telling, that was not going to come from Charlotte, Miranda or Samantha. The Fab Four, as it were, deliver in other areas as needed to move the story along.
It's just not how a story is built, especially in this case. I apologize if I am getting too technical, but it's the truth.
So we see Louise come into Carrie's life, provide a fresh perspective, and then ultimately permanently leave to go back to St. Louis where she is reunited with her ex-boyfriend, who she is going to marry.
She is very happy in choosing love for the long run, despite Carrie being presumably ditched at the altar by Big.
Carrie ultimately reunites with Big (Chris Noth) and that is the ultimate gesture of a complicated character who tries to play out her own life as if it's a storybook.
Charlotte's life plays out just as the life did of one of my own friends; the same with Miranda and Steve, who work throughout the movie to overcome Steve's infidelity.
Maybe that's the power of Sex. In it, we see so much of ourselves and the lives of our friends.

No comments: