Friday, August 22, 2008

Are We Fat?


OKC Mayor Mick Cornett put the whole city on a diet, but it's not working. It's now August and collectively, we've only lost (roughly) 138,000 pounds. His goal was 1 million pounds.
I will be the first to tell you what the problem is:
A. We're very isolated here; there isn't much to do, so we eat. And drink. 'Nuff said right there.
B. We don't have access to good, fresh foods (fresh fish, really good fruits, etc.). We just don't. I pray for the day that we get a Whole Foods, but that's unlikely to happen because of the strict liquor laws. Although Tulsa did convert a Wild Oats to Whole Foods, so there is a teeny bit of hope.
C. FRIED foods and GOOD food. It's true. Southern comfort food abounds here on the Great Southern Plains, and they are beyond yummy. I didn't know Mexicans could make lasagna, and then I moved here. I hesitated to try it, and when I did, I ate half of the casserole dish of lasagna. And then my co-workers make these breakfast casseroles that are just out of this world.
I've always been a sucker for pies, anyway, and dang, they can make them here better than anything you'd believe. And really, it's rude not to partake in the cuisine of a culture, so we're partaking.
So the collective weight problem is understandable. Really.

No comments: