Saturday, August 30, 2008

"She should be home with her baby"

By now, you all likely know that Sen. John McCain has selected Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate.
What you may not know is that Gov. Palin is the mother of five children, aged 18 years to 5 months old.
The 5-month-old is a son named Trig who happens to have Down's Syndrome. This fact motivated some people (women especially) to comment that Gov. Palin should stay home with her baby.
Are you kidding me? It is this type of attitude that has hurt ambitious, successful women for years. Not only do ambitious women have to fight to get where they are, but in my experience, they have to face scrutiny and negativeness from their own gender.
For shame, for shame, ladies.
When I see a woman in a position of power, I celebrate. Kickass, I think, because I know how hard she has fought to get there.
But let me promise you this, as a woman myself with my own ambitions, I can promise you that a woman who is in a position of power and is a mother has made the commitment to herself and her children to take care of herself and her children.
If it means going without sleep, she will go without sleep.
Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean that it's not "right," in your view. And of course, in Gov. Palin's case, she has a great support network surrounding her, including a husband who is willing to be home with the baby. She also has a support network of aunts, uncles, and her own parents.
So judge not, lest ye be judged.
Celebrate, for Pete's sake.
A woman has made it onto the Republican ticket. And a woman who has made it there has figured out how to take care of her children and make sure their needs are met.

No comments: