Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Bigfoot Press Conference

Sometimes, something comes along and absolutely trumps any other poll questions I was going to post, and that is the case with Bigfoot, whose corpse apparently has been discovered by some people in Georgia (the U.S. state whose capital is Atlanta, not to be confused with the country that is at war with Russia).
Does it surprise anyone that the "discovery" was made in a Southern state? As if the South needed more to embarrass the region ...
They are going to hold a press conference Friday in Palo Alto, California.
But of course, this was all over the radio station, with disc jockeys having listeners call in to weigh in on the existence of the hairy 7-foot beast.
One guy swears he had a sighting in Choctaw, Oklahoma. So the disc jockey says, "How much were you drinking?"
I view Bigfoot like I view ghosts: If they exist, I will not believe it until I actually see either with my own eyes. Then, I won't even necessarily believe it unless it's verified by several scientists, and then maybe they'll have me slightly convinced. Just maybe.
Hoaxes have decorated history, some even with the support of scientists.
Do any of you remember the hoax of the Piltdown Man in England? This was the infamous fake skull. Piltdown Man was discovered in a gravel pit in England in 1912 and some anthropologists spent their entire careers examining this thing. Scientists even gave it a scientific name, Eoanthropus dawsoni. The skull was exposed as a forgery in the 1950s.
This is why I love to observe humanity. Truth is stranger than fiction.

No comments: