Monday, August 25, 2008

Michelle's Speech

She was passionate and very well-spoken. I am a fan of pundit Juan Williams, an African American journalist and historian, and I watched him turn somewhat emotional over seeing a 44-year-old African American woman in the running for First Lady of the United States.
It is at moments like this that my pride swells for this country.
I knew we could get here, and I am so proud that we are here.
We had the hokey parts, of course, including the story of how Barack asked her to go for ice cream.
But they need to show that they're just like ordinary Americans, and I guess that this makes up for his arugula comment early in the primaries.
As Pundit Charles Krauthammer said, "It had all the hokem elements, and it worked." He opined that the two girls talking to their father who was there via satellite was "cuteness squared."
Michelle also has to make up for the earlier comment that this was the first time in her adulthood that she was proud of her country. Hence, the, "I love this country," comments in her speech.
All that aside, I may not always agree with their positions, but I do celebrate where they are.
"If I stand beside you, it's because I have risen with you."

No comments: